Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Product Review - Carry Boo Mei Tai with Wrap Straps

Carry Boo make various styles of wraps, slings and carriers, along with some conversions.
After using mei tais with regular padded straps, I was keen to try out a wrap strap version, as I can never get regular straps to feel just right. I have had my Carry Boo mei tai with wrap straps for a few months now and here are my thoughts about it...

I had very particular ideas about how I wanted my new mei tai to be. I definitely wanted wrap straps. I wanted a detachable flat sleep hood, which gathered at the sides, and I wanted the whole thing to be reversible. I already had some fabric which I wanted to use on one side, but it was black so I wanted a lighter colour on the other side. Leanne at Carry Boo said she could incorporate all my requirements and had a slot in a few weeks' time.

As it turned out, when Leanne was ready to start, I couldn't find my fabric! So she sent me lots of links to fabric that she thought were suitable and that I would like. I had already said I'd have black straps to match the original fabric which had a black background, so I was now looking for a similar black backgrounded fabric, plus I had a white background with black or grey flowers in mind for the other side. After a bit of searching, I managed to find two fabrics that I liked. Leanne ordered them and started work a couple of days later when they'd arrived.

I was very surprised a few days after that when she said it was ready. I hadn't expected it so quickly. She can certainly sew quicker than I can! She had also made me two detachable hoods, so that the fabric for the main side hung the right way up whether the hood was up or down.
When I received it I was absolutely delighted! It's amazing. Beautifully made. The stitching is very neat and it is obvious that a lot of care and attention to detail has been put into it. I tried it on and it was so comfortable. The straps are perfect. Not only are they more comfortable around my shoulders but I like the way they can be spread over baby's bottom to create more support there.

First time on London Underground -
and first outside trip in new mei tai

I received it just in time for a trip to London the day after. I wore it from the car, travelling into London on the tube and walking around the city. I took it off for a picnic in Hyde Park, then put it back on again for the return trip back to the tube, tube journey and then the walk back to the car. It never felt uncomfortable at all and my baby was cosy and slept contently in it. It was quick and easy to get on and off, given that it was the first time I'd done it in public. It was also quite a hot day but neither myself nor my baby felt too hot wearing it.

At Marble Arch, London

This mei tai gets a lot of use. It is perfect for days out, when I need a comfortable, supportive carrier which baby sleeps in easily. It's also not too fiddly to take baby in and out of, now she's at an age where she wants to get out to go on a swing or for a crawl around. I also used it for two days at the Tour de France. It was very useful as it was too wet to sit down on the first morning so I adjusted it a bit and fed her in it, then tightened it back up and she went to sleep.

Cosy at Le Tour

I really don't think I can fault it at all. It's exactly what I was hoping it would be. I highly recommend Carry Boo if you are looking for a custom made carrier.
Standard mei tai prices start at around £50. The RRP for my mei tai is £85.
You can find the Carry Boo Facebook page here...

https://www.facebook.com/carryboobaby?fref=ts










No comments:

Post a Comment